When we speak of sickness or disease we mean any spiritual, mental, emotional, or physical problem. There are basically five types of sickness:
- spiritual sickness: Sin is spiritual sickness. If it is not dealt with, sin is terminal, spiritually speaking. Medical science or natural healing can do nothing for this condition. Everyone is affected by spiritual sickness because all have sinned. Healing for spiritual sickness comes from repenting, receiving forgiveness for sins, and accepting Jesus Christ as personal Savior.
- physical sickness: Physical sickness results from disorders which can be observed by physicians. In organic disorders the actual system or tissue of the body is damaged in some way. Physical sickness can also result from functional disorders resulting from a malfunction of an organ or part of the body. Functional disorders include a variety of conditions in which a problem in one organ or system disturbs the whole organism. Most common are heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, ulcers, and allergies. Because of the integrated nature of man, illness in one part of the body affects the whole body. This means that functional illnesses which continue unchecked can result in organic illnesses.
- emotional sickness: Emotional illness results from harmful emotions such as anger, hatred, bitterness, etc. Healing comes through both vertical and horizontal forgiveness and healing. Vertical forgiveness results when you ask God to forgive you for sinful emotions. When you repent, God heals these inner conditions. Horizontal forgiveness results when you forgive those who have offended you. Some call this, “inner healing,” although the term has sometimes been abused and expanded to include experiences the Bible does not teach.
- mental sickness: Mental sickness is poor mental health resulting from retardation, illness, accidents, breakdowns, birth defects, and psychological conditions not caused directly by a demonic presence.
- demonically caused conditions: Demonically caused conditions include obsession, oppression, possession, and demonically caused mental and physical conditions.